Training and educating those within an organization who are responsible for implementing and working with changes in organizational policy is a critical step in ensuring that prescribed changes have their intended benefit. A leader in a health care profession must be able to apply effective leadership, management, and educational strategies to ensure that colleagues and subordinates will be prepared to do the work that is asked of them.
As a master’s-level health care practitioner, you may be asked to design training sessions to help ensure the smooth implementation of any number of initiatives in your health care setting. The ability to create an agenda that will ensure your training goals will be met, and will fit into the allotted time, is a valuable skill for preparing colleagues to be successful in their practice.
This assignment offers you an opportunity to develop and implement effective educational strategies.
To help ensure a smooth rollout and implementation of your proposed policy and practice guidelines, design a training session presentation for one of the role groups in the organization that will be responsible for implementation.
- Provide a brief summary of your strategies for working with your chosen role group.
- Explain the impact of the new policy on the group and the importance of the change to improve quality of care.
- Explain how the group is important in implementing your proposed policy and practice guidelines, and why you chose this group to pilot your proposal.
- Determine appropriate instructional content and explain to the group the learning activities and materials they should expect during the training session.
- Prepare an annotated agenda for a two-hour training session.
During this training session, you will want to ensure that the individuals you are training understand the new policy and practice guidelines. You will need them to buy-into the importance of the policy in improving the quality of care or outcomes and their key role in successful policy implementation. You must help them acquire the knowledge and skills they need to be successful in implementing the policy and practice guidelines.
As outcomes of this training session, participants are expected to:
- Understand the organizational policy and practice guidelines to be implemented.
- Understand the importance of the policy to improving quality or outcomes.
- Understand that, as a group, they are key to successful implementation.
- Possess the necessary knowledge and skills for successful implementation.
The strategy summary and annotated training agenda requirements outlined below correspond to the scoring guide criteria, so be sure to address each main point. Read the performance-level descriptions for each criterion to see how your work will be assessed. In addition, be sure to note the requirements for document format and length and for supporting evidence.
- Summarize evidence-based strategies for working with the role group to obtain their buy-in and prepare them to implement the new policy and apply the associated practice guidelines to their work.
- Why will these strategies be effective?
- What measures might provide early indications of success?
- Explain the impact of the new policy and practice guidelines.
- How they will be implemented?
- How will they affect the daily work routines and responsibilities of the role group?
- Justify the importance of the new policy and practice guidelines with regard to improving the quality of care or outcomes related to the role group’s work.
- How will the policy and guidelines help improve the quality of care or outcomes?
- Explain the role group’s importance in implementing the new policy and practice guidelines.
- Why is the work and buy-in of the role group important for successful implementation?
- How could you help the group feel empowered by their involvement during implementation?
- Determine appropriate and effective instructional content, learning activities, and materials for the training session.
- How will each proposed activity on your agenda support learning and skill development?
- Can you complete the training within the allotted two hours?
- Organize content so ideas flow logically with smooth transitions.
- Proofread your strategy summary and training agenda, before you submit it, to minimize errors that could distract readers and make it more difficult for them to focus on the substance of your strategies.
- Support main points, assertions, arguments, conclusions, or recommendations with relevant and credible evidence.
- Be sure to apply correct APA formatting to source citations and references.
Presentation Format and Length
You may use Microsoft PowerPoint or other suitable presentation software to create your slides. If you elect to use an application other than PowerPoint, check with your faculty to avoid potential file compatibility issues.
If using PowerPoint to create your presentation slides, you may use the SoNHS Professional Presentation Guidelines [PPTX] as a template. Be sure that your slide deck includes the following slides:
- Title slide.
- Presentation title.
- Your name.
- Course number and title.
- References (at the end of your presentation). Apply current APA formatting to all citations and references.
Your slide deck should consist of 8–12 slides, not including a title slide and references slide.
Ensure you provide speaker notes for each slide to fully address scoring guide criteria.
Cite 2–4 external sources to support your strategies for working with the group you have identified and generating their buy-in, as well as for your approach to the training session, activities, and materials.
Portfolio Prompt: You may choose to save your report to your ePortfolio.